Water Damage: What to Do and Not to DoImportant warnings on water damage
About Water Damage Emergencies
Water damage always happens, but is never expected. Not to worry. ServiceMaster EMT is available around the clock at (800) 376-6678 to respond to all fire and water damage emergencies. But until we arrive, there are some steps you can take to limit the spread of damage. Check them out below.
What to do if you have a water damage emergency:
- Call ServiceMaster EMT right away for emergency water damage restoration.
- Use dehumidifiers if the temperature outside is over 60 degrees, otherwise open a window.
- Turn on fans to improve air circulation.
- Mop and blot as much water as possible.
- Soak up as much water from the furniture as possible from the furniture.
- Hang up draperies from the carpet onto a coat hanger and hang on the drapery rod.
- Prop up couch and sofa cushions for full, even driving. If possible, place wood blocks or aluminum foil underneath furniture legs.
- Hang up all wet area rugs and other floor coverings.
- Open all closet doors, luggage, cabinets, and drawers to promote air circulation.
- Move delicate items to a safe, dry location, including pictures, art objects, firearms, and paintings.
- Remove and dry wet fabrics as quickly as possible to prevent the growth of mold and mildew. Hang up furs and leathers to dry at room temperature.
- Remove books from the shelves and spread them out to dry evenly.
- If the water damage occurred during the fall, winter, or early spring, keep the heat on. For summer, keep the air conditioner running if available.
Be sure to avoid the following during water damage:
- Do not use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water.
- Do not turn on or use any appliances when standing on wet carpets or floors.
- Do not enter any rooms with standing water. Turn off the electricity right away.
- Do not try to remove any wet carpet that is tacked down. Wait for ServiceMaster EMT to arrive as removing it incorrectly can cause further damage.
- Do not hesitate to call ServiceMaster EMT at (800) 376-6678 for professional water damage repair. Mold and bacteria can grow within 24 hours.